Montag, 25. Februar 2008

Video: "Persia: Darius the Great and Persepolis"



Video: "Persia: Darius the Great and Persepolis" von "SirMixItAllUp" bei Youtube
http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=zGDgd86idYs

Beschreibung des Videoclips:

Darius rebuilds the great city of Susa, and then builds Persepolis. Nice computer graphics used to re-create the city and it's Apadana.

I try to imagine visitors like Pythagoras, or Plato, taking in all this magnificence and learning with the many other travellers drawn to Persia from far-flung lands.

interview clips with Dr Lloyd Llewellyn-Jones, and Dr. Patrick Hunt,

Would be nice to have some of the Persian literature from Persepolis of this period, but most all was lost when Alexander the Great's soldiers burned the city. Wiki reports:

The Book of Arda Wiraz, a Zoroastrian work composed in the 3rd or 4th century CE, also describes archives containing "all the Avesta and Zand, written upon prepared cow-skins, and with gold ink" that were destroyed.
...as Pliny the Elder had suggested in his 'Naturalis Historiae', where he describes one Hermippus of Smyrna having "interpreted two million verses of Zoroaster"

Persian youths were carefully instructed in three things - to ride a horse, to draw a bow, and to speak the truth.

Darius testifies in an inscription on the road to Kermanshah:

I was not a lie-follower, I was not a doer of wrong ... According to righteousness I conducted myself. Neither to the weak or to the
powerful did I do wrong. The man who cooperated with my house, him I rewarded well; who so did injury, him I punished well.

Persepolis - Takht-e Jamshid - Dārayavahuš - דַּרְיָוֶשׁ (Daryawesh) Δαρεῖος (Dareios)

s داریوش - दरायु (Darāyu)